Sunday, April 6, 2008

Elmo and my Other Monster

Who knew that buying a little stuffed Elmo would bring on visions of the Terrible Two's? Today I finally found a little, plain, cheap, stuffed Elmo. Every time we're at a store with toys I look to see what Elmo's are available and almost always Elmo has some sort of gimmick. He might be wearing a diaper, or holding a pizza, or his limbs stretch in every direction, or his body is rock solid (why would that be appealing?). Today we found a $5 Elmo with no gimmicks. Kate fell in love the instant she saw him on the shelf. I handed him over to her (she ahh'd with delight), as well as Cookie Monster (another ahh); however, when I started to take them away she easily let go of CM and clung to Elmo. The cashier had to scan Elmo's tag while he remained in Kate's grasp. On the way home she chit-chatted to him almost all the way. She ended the car ride by saying, "E, E, E, E, E, E" in the softest, most loving manner. She came in the house holding Elmo by his giant eyeballs and showed him to ATD, then carried him around until nap time. After her nap we ordered a pizza and she carried him around until it was delivered. When I put on her bib for dinner she held out her 1 free arm to be picked up and placed in her highchair, but she clung to Elmo with the other. I pried him away and sat him on the table, facing her. She SCREAMED as though someone had placed her on an open flame. I placed him in a chair as though he were going to eat with us. She SCREEEAMED. I gave in. Elmo sat in the highchair with her and she carefully placed a piece of sausage in his mouth saying, "mmmmm!" (see video). It sat there the length of dinner. Apparently he didn't care for it. When bath time came I knew we were going to have a fight. OF COURSE she felt that he needed to go in the tub with her. I fought this one, much to her (tantrum) dismay. I sat on him so she couldn't see him and eventually she calmed down. He is now hidden away and am debating about whether or not he comes out tomorrow. I mean, when I go off to work in the morning is it really fair to make the sitter fight these battles? If I were her, I would say no (but not to my face). So, for now, I think Elmo is going into hibernation. I'm sure he'll emerge soon enough, but maybe only for special occasions. Special Occasion Elmo. They haven't thought of that one yet, have they?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Poor, Poor "Mo". You better find another one. Does she "get" the concept yet that he has to stay in her crib? Would that work for her? Or I guess we'll see him again for Pizza Night!