Thursday, February 12, 2009

Figure Skating

I finally went out to see an event. When Kate woke up this morning I was ready to go, and we headed down to Qwest Arena to see what we could see. I had heard rumors that Joe Biden would be there today for a medal ceremony and that we should get there early. Unfortunately, upon our arrival we learned that a) we should have gotten there a lot earlier than we did (the lines where insane!) and that Biden hadn't left the ground in Washington DC yet. That didn't really matter to me - I was there to check out the skaters. It was great. We saw all different skill levels and a lot of excitement and smiles. I ran into a Volunteer with whom I worked on Saturday, and we sat together and enjoyed the event. Just prior to Kate's cut off point Scott Hamilton made an appearance and announced good and bad news. The bad news was that Biden STILL hadn't left Washington DC. The good news... Michelle Kwan were there! This was very exciting for me, as I'm a big fan. Both Michelle and Scott are supporters of the Special Olympic movement and it was great to see them there. As the medaling stands were being erected, Kate started to melt, so we headed home for a long winter's nap. What a great event!

Tomorrow are the Closing Ceremonies, which I won't be attending. I suspect that although I'll stop in the office tomorrow, my 2009 Special Olympics World Games experience has come to a close. I wish I had been able to see and do more, and I wish I had been able to interact with the athlete's more. I suppose that no matter how much I had done I would have been left wanting more. It was a fantastic experience that I'll remember for the rest of my days!

No comments: