Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More - The Games

The Games are in full force and it seems that Boise is pumping with the energy of the athlete's excitement. I've spent the last 6 days in the middle of the chaos; however, every time I speak to another staff member I realize they are more stressed/sleep deprived/chaotic than me. I was asked to help out with Food and Beverage. Never having been a part of an event before, I didn't really know what that meant.
Friday I visited the Floor Hockey events (they were "divisioning", or playing to determine skill level and who they would play against in competition) and then I worked in their dining hall (tent). What that meant for me was clearing tables as fast as possible in order that athlete's with full plates could find a place to sit. Athlete's were very excited and were singing and dancing in the isles. It was fantastic! When that rush had passed I was pulled into a Floor Hockey Coaches meeting. I learned my lesson quickly - stop offering to help! I was assigned to taking meeting minutes, which was horribly boring, although it did give me the opportunity to learn about floor hockey - something about which I knew nothing.
Saturday I was asked to work at a dining hall (HUGE tent) outside of Opening Ceremonies where I assisted in serving lunch and dinner to hundred's of athletes. This was very hectic, somewhat disorganized, but incredibly fun. I ducked out of there just in time to see the ceremonies and then quickly ducked back in to help serve dinner, and finally to clean up. I was exhausted at the end of the day, but rewarded by the smiling faces, hugs and cool pins I received from athletes.
Sunday I drove to Sun Valley (SV) to, again, help out with Food and Beverage. There is one dining hall in SV which is feeding all of the athlete's breakfast and dinner (boxed lunches are served at the venues). When I arrived there was a lot of confusion over various issues - specifically when the dairy truck would be arriving, final headcounts for meals, etc. Luckily I had a list of phone numbers and a cell phone, which made me incredibly useful to the caterers (Full Moon Catering, Sun Valley, Idaho). We were instant friends. I wish I had an event for which I could hire them, as they were fantastic people and absolute pros. I spent a total of 2 dinners and 2 breakfasts there, which required me to get up at 5am both mornings, but it was another awesome experience. Monday afternoon I was able to break away and check out the snowboarding venue on Dollar Mountain in SV. It was a blue bird day and there were school kids everywhere out on a field trip to cheer on the athlete's. It was great!
Today I am back to my "real" job - HR for this Organizing Committee. Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and these Games are celebrated with Closing Ceremonies in two days. With the closing of the Games comes the departure of some of the staff, and the wrap, up involving reports and closing down the building. I don't know how much longer I'll have a job, but for the short-term I have to make sure every one's departure is handled appropriately.
Tomorrow I hope to take Kate to some figure skating events, and maybe some speed skating. I don't feel like I've been able to enjoy these events as a bystander and I think that would be a great way to wrap up the week.
This has been an incredible experience - all due to the joy and excitement of the athlete's and the group of people who have planned this tremendous event in a short amount of time and on a shoestring budget.
For those of you out of the area, check out some of the coverage of the Games at www.ktvb.com!!

No comments: