Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Amsterdam - Day 2

Wow. I am TIIIIRED. We only did a few things today...

But first of all, I have to commend The UB for picking the best hotels EVER. This one is so damn cute you wouldn't even believe it. There are two beds - one just slightly bigger than the other - with white bed linens and a small stuffed brightly colored daisy on each. On the walls of our rooms are a great number of framed pictures of sunflowers. The breakfast this morning was wonderful. The first time in a new place is always just a touch confusing, so when we walked down into the basement and saw a woman in a small kitchenette and a room full of tables and chairs with a toaster at one end we weren't really sure what was going to happen; however, we were served medium-boiled eggs, multiple types of fresh bread, jam, coffee, tea, OJ,... anywho - it was fabulous! Can't wait for tomorrow to do it all over again.

We headed out and Brad put us on a tram going north. We walked and walked through the most beautiful streets I've ever seen (well,... Paris was cool, but it was a long time ago so I can't say I remember them perfectly) - the buildings are awesome (and tall and skinny as you all know) and the canals and bridges are endless. It is a sight that I don't care to get enough of. I didn't know where we were going, but eventually I saw a couple of people in front of a store front and I looked to see what it was. "Amsterdam Tulip Museum?" Brad's response was something along the lines of, "you ruined the surprise!" I loved it there. There were so many lovely things to buy and a great little room in the basement giving a history of tulips and how they came to be so important to Holland. Very cool.

We wandered on down the street and suddenly I saw a sign saying, "Anne Frank Haus" and again I was delighted and surprised. I don't know what to say about this experience. For those of you who have been there, you know that being speechless is a typical response. For those of you who have read the book you can only imagine. For those of you who haven't read the book, please do. You will become a better person. Oddly/sadly/proudly, I look forward to sharing her story with Kate someday.

At the end of the tour there is an opportunity to send a video of yourself to anyone you'd like. Of course we took this opportunity to send it to Kate to tell her we love her. I hope Grandma is able to play it for her.

Our next stop was the Rijksmuseum where Rembrandt's most famous paintings are located. It was incredible. http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/tentoonstellingen/rembrandt-400

And just a few steps away was the Van Gogh Museum. Again - some of the world's most famous paintings were here. What is there to say about that? http://www3.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp?lang=nl

We quickly stopped at the hotel to unload our purchases of postcards and books and tulip pictures and then made our way to a 1 hour canal tour throughout the city. It was a great visual perspective and it was nice to hear about some of the specific history of the city.

And last - but CERTAINLY not least, was a quick walk through the Red Light District. Wow. Need I say more? It was slightly different than I expected, but if you are aware that prostitutes stand in windows and you can take your pick of them, then you pretty much get it. And by the way, the only prostitutes I've ever seen have been quite unattractive. These ladies were NOT the prostitutes I've seen before. It is legal, available and they're hot! Who would've thought?

We then had a slice of pizza in some sort of outdoor plaza and took the tram back to our hood. I quickly faded off and insisted that my day 2 in Amsterdam come to an end. So good night good people! I hope to have something fabulous for you tomorrow!

No comments: