Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Amsterdam - Day 3

I think it is day three, but I tend to ask Brad a few times a day, what day is it? It is very hard to keep track with all of the excitement and fun and sights. Today we decided to take a couple of tours. Unfortunately - or fortunately - the second one didn't work out, so it ended up that we took a one hour tour around the city with a gentleman pointing out the various sights. It was interesting and helpful, as we haven't seen all of the different areas yet and this gave us a broader view of the city. At one point we stopped and I helped myself to the cheese store near our parking spot. I bought the most delightful Gouda cheese sandwich I could have imagined. Brad tried to swipe it from me. It was good.

After the failed attempt at a second organized tour we decided to start walking and see our own sights. We came across a beautiful square (where we enjoyed a slice of pizza the night before) and decided that if we are going to be tourists, we should really do it - and hired a horse drawn carriage. It might be the most delightful thing we've done yet! I enjoyed this a great deal. The carriage driver was a lovely old chap and was very informative. His horse was fun, too.

We thought we were going to rent bikes after this excursion, but our wanderings took us to more of a trendy shopping street and then the flower markets, and bikes never came into the equation. We decided to sit at an outdoor cafe and enjoy some wonderful, cold Heineken in the warm sun. THIS is vacation.

We enjoyed a fantastic dinner at an Argentine steak house and then returned "home" to retire early. We're tired kids.

I'm tired and will be out of Internet minutes very quickly. With that, note that tomorrow evening we travel to London, so I likely will not post tomorrow. Have a great day and we'll see each other soon!

No comments: